Heriot Watt University Society
Welcome to Heriot-Watt University Online Society !

Please login to your HWUC account. If you do not have an account, please register.

Regards
- Admin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Heriot-Watt University Online Society !

Please login to your HWUC account. If you do not have an account, please register.

Regards
- Admin
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Divide (2011)
Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:42 pm by cinemax

» ICC Cricket World Cup Official Highlights (2011)
Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 pm by cinemax

» Bending the Rules (2012)
Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:29 pm by cinemax

» London Paris New York (2012)
Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 pm by cinemax

» Born to Be Wild (2011)
Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm by cinemax

» Khuda Kay Liye (2007)
Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm by cinemax

» Agent Vinod (2012)
Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 pm by cinemax

» Study tips for examinations
Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 am by Symposium

» Dynamics Mock Past Papers
Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 am by crixus

I forgot my password

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Top posting users this week
No user

Connect Vision
Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! Tumblr_lzruylS7jt1rq3itno1_100
Menu

Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise!

+4
Encore
mightykhan
stephenb
Symposium
8 posters

Go down

Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! Empty Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise!

Post  Symposium Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:42 am

Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! Tumblr_lzqzos96JM1rq3itn

Typical Dubai lifestyle would include an automobile ride in straight to the corridor and a few feet away right to the lecture theatres. The next stop towards the library could be a more established walk of less than a fifth of a mile while food services are taken care of by a straight cosy elevator ride. In a nutshell, everything is small-scale but fits the purpose for many, yet not for some. The question therefore arises that can small-scale entities be classified as luxurious? Does it blend perfectly with the laid-back character generally associated within?

Perhaps there is a need for a broader approach associated with 'lifestyle' - associated more with physical commotion. Imagining students living in dorms, what could be expected as a complete neccessity?

1) An advanced fitness suite (in-built) to take care of physical activities and needs
2) Superior and healthy choice (in-built) of food with a touch of variety
3) Lush green space of land. While not as charming as others, it is much appreciated what little things can hold.

Does the heat in Dubai match the cold of Edinburgh? While the student numbers tell a story, as stated earlier, it is often appreciated what little things can hold.

-Symposium
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Reputation Impact : 35

Back to top Go down

Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! Empty Re: Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise!

Post  stephenb Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 am

Generally the lifestyle in Edinburgh is better than Dubai by a country mile.
stephenb
stephenb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Reputation Impact : 3

Back to top Go down

Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! Empty Re: Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise!

Post  mightykhan Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:08 am

Good read. Edinburgh better than Dubai obviously. Shocked
mightykhan
mightykhan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Reputation Impact : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Encore Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:13 am

Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! Tumblr_lzr0u2u8hg1rq3itno1_100
Encore
Encore
Admin
Admin

Reputation Impact : 10

https://hwuc.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! Empty Edinburgh is far more better

Post  na217 Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:55 am

the only thing good about Dubai is that you can go to the beach almost every day ( a few months of "winter" which is a joke)
the Edinburgh management system is far better than Dubai's (am sure we all know why).
Dubai Campus is TINY, the whole campus is one building, in which the doors for the engineering side is always locked -.- so parking on the engineering side is a no no. many of us in Dubai go to the old campus, where there's so much room to walk about, and with a better food court, Dubai campus isn't allowed to cook food On campus, so freshness of food is questionable. Dubai's campus is out of money to finish the second phase, so no extra parking, dorms or a proper dining hall for a while.
Teachers in Edinburgh are far more better, Library is far bigger.
Dubai campus wasted a looooot of money, most of it probably went into the over fancied lobby that no one is allowed to sit in except visitors. during exams, many of the class rooms are locked down (security reasons, lol) and everyone is squashed in the library, for most of us, going to uni is the only place we can go to for studying, but that's out of reach for us. i could go on for ever on this. bom

na217
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Reputation Impact : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:11 am

na217 wrote:
Edinburgh management system is far better than Dubai's (am sure we all know why).
Dubai Campus is TINY, the whole campus is one building, in which the doors for the engineering side is always locked -.- so parking on the engineering side is a no no.:

You're lucky to be driving to University is all I would say. Student life in the U.K. involves walking for a high percentage and the luxury of cars is not the same as it is in Dubai by a mile.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nipun Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:41 am

Before coming to Dubai, the lifestyle at dubai campus seemed better with much luxuries provided here that are far from student's reach in general.But after staying here for a semester it looks like that those actually are worthless to enjoy the University life we aspire for. Smile

nipun
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Reputation Impact : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  SP Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Dubai's campus is out of money to finish the second phase, so no extra parking, dorms or a proper dining hall for a while.

who said that phase 2 was cancelled and that Dubai campus is out of money?

SP

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenb Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:33 pm

[quote="SP"]
Dubai's campus is out of money to finish the second phase, so no extra parking, dorms or a proper dining hall for a while.

This statement could get things heated in no time. Twisted Evil
stephenb
stephenb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  mightykhan Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:50 pm

I'll throw in my two cents. Vegetarian food needs to be given more importance in Dubai and that is for all to see! That's it for now.
mightykhan
mightykhan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Reputation Impact : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  na217 Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:50 am

Symposium wrote:
na217 wrote:
Edinburgh management system is far better than Dubai's (am sure we all know why).
Dubai Campus is TINY, the whole campus is one building, in which the doors for the engineering side is always locked -.- so parking on the engineering side is a no no.:

You're lucky to be driving to University is all I would say. Student life in the U.K. involves walking for a high percentage and the luxury of cars is not the same as it is in Dubai by a mile.

when i think of "elite british education" that last thing i am thinking of is what car i should be driving, not everyone here drives luxury cars, a good number of us uses Uni transportation, driving for 4-6 hours daily back and forth. using the public buses which take a minimum of 20 minutes (from where i live) to a good hour. so yeah, my education at this university is reflected by the number of luxury cars. Smile

na217
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Back to top Go down

Post  na217 Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 am

SP wrote:

Well, they've cleared up the construction site. i mean, the Uni can afford to open a new campus in Malaysia with the help of sponsors over there, but the sponsor here is tight in the budget, have you been to Dubai lately? or have you forgotten the many projects that got canceled, anyways, that isn't the point here.
when you see a site getting cleared up... it usually means it has stopped until further funding, unless my experience in the construction industry was a total lie....

na217
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:05 pm

na217 wrote:
when i think of "elite british education" that last thing i am thinking of is what car i should be driving, not everyone here drives luxury cars, a good number of us uses Uni transportation, driving for 4-6 hours daily back and forth. using the public buses which take a minimum of 20 minutes (from where i live) to a good hour. so yeah, my education at this university is reflected by the number of luxury cars. Smile

Auspiciously. this is pretty much similar to what students do back, all of what you just mentioned. Your frustrations are understandable, since Dubai has a long way to go to match the quality of Edinburgh (in almost every department), a fact that is unlikely to change in the near future.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CBurgoyne Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:03 pm

na217 wrote:
SP wrote:

Well, they've cleared up the construction site. i mean, the Uni can afford to open a new campus in Malaysia with the help of sponsors over there, but the sponsor here is tight in the budget, have you been to Dubai lately? or have you forgotten the many projects that got canceled, anyways, that isn't the point here.
when you see a site getting cleared up... it usually means it has stopped until further funding, unless my experience in the construction industry was a total lie....

They have cleaned up the Site because a new contractor has been appointed for Phase 2 as i understand it, so the first contractor must demobilize and clear the site, once that is done the new contractor can begin.

CBurgoyne
Student President
Student President

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenb Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 pm

CBurgoyne wrote:
na217 wrote:
SP wrote:

They have cleaned up the Site because a new contractor has been appointed for Phase 2 as i understand it, so the first contractor must demobilize and clear the site, once that is done the new contractor can begin.

Finally, Chris joins in. Welcome and please do something about the parking issue.
stephenb
stephenb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Student life in Dubai in comparison to Edinburgh - Make some noise! Empty Parking Issue

Post  CBurgoyne Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 pm

To which parking issue do you refer?

CBurgoyne
Student President
Student President

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenb Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 pm

CBurgoyne wrote:To which parking issue do you refer?

I fear my stang would get scratched one day on the tiny gravel parking off the road during the rush hour. Very Happy
stephenb
stephenb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:34 am

stephenb wrote:
CBurgoyne wrote:To which parking issue do you refer?

I fear my stang would get scratched one day on the tiny gravel parking off the road during the rush hour. Very Happy
You need to be clear with your real issues in the future. Thanks.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  am640 Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:01 am

Guys look at the virtual tour! Smile

http://www.hw.ac.uk/student-life/campus-life/edinburgh/virtual-tours.htm

Absolutely beautiful!!

am640
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down