Heriot Watt University Society
Welcome to Heriot-Watt University Online Society !

Please login to your HWUC account. If you do not have an account, please register.

Regards
- Admin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Heriot-Watt University Online Society !

Please login to your HWUC account. If you do not have an account, please register.

Regards
- Admin
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Divide (2011)
Current food crisis at the new campus EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:42 pm by cinemax

» ICC Cricket World Cup Official Highlights (2011)
Current food crisis at the new campus EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 pm by cinemax

» Bending the Rules (2012)
Current food crisis at the new campus EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:29 pm by cinemax

» London Paris New York (2012)
Current food crisis at the new campus EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 pm by cinemax

» Born to Be Wild (2011)
Current food crisis at the new campus EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm by cinemax

» Khuda Kay Liye (2007)
Current food crisis at the new campus EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm by cinemax

» Agent Vinod (2012)
Current food crisis at the new campus EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 pm by cinemax

» Study tips for examinations
Current food crisis at the new campus EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 am by Symposium

» Dynamics Mock Past Papers
Current food crisis at the new campus EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 am by crixus

I forgot my password

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Top posting users this week
No user

Connect Vision
Current food crisis at the new campus Tumblr_lzruylS7jt1rq3itno1_100
Menu

Current food crisis at the new campus

+6
Symposium
smoshee
nipun
da4
os54
mightykhan
10 posters

Go down

Current food crisis at the new campus Empty Current food crisis at the new campus

Post  mightykhan Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:28 am

Hopefully this forum will solve my food crisis at the Uni. Tea/Coffee machines are not working most of the time and that is one real problem. Sad
mightykhan
mightykhan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Reputation Impact : 1

Back to top Go down

Current food crisis at the new campus Empty Re: Current food crisis at the new campus

Post  mightykhan Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:32 am

Wow, no response at all! pale
mightykhan
mightykhan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Current food crisis at the new campus Empty ohh yes

Post  os54 Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:07 am

ohh yes, and Is it only me who feel's tht the previous caterers at uni common room were better than master cook?

os54
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Reputation Impact : 3

Back to top Go down

Current food crisis at the new campus Empty Re: Current food crisis at the new campus

Post  mightykhan Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:14 am

os54 wrote:ohh yes, and Is it only me who feel's tht the previous caterers at uni common room were better than master cook?

I personally feel that the old campus was much better when it came to food. Shocked
mightykhan
mightykhan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  da4 Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:26 am

os54 wrote:ohh yes, and Is it only me who feel's tht the previous caterers at uni common room were better than master cook?

I feel that Mastercook or whatever that is, is way costlier and really not worth it. They give very little for the amount we pay.

da4
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Reputation Impact : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  nipun Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:08 am

yea the master cook seems to be a really big problem especially for us people living in the dorms as we don't have any other option apart from that.

nipun
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Reputation Impact : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  smoshee Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Ahh we seem to have a Jamie Oliver in our Midst... hehe... While the snack bar is important.. I think you guys should be happy u are getting served hot catered food... Screw junk eat healthy...
smoshee
smoshee

Reputation Impact : 12

https://www.facebook.com/sm.OsHEe

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:14 pm

smoshee wrote:Ahh we seem to have a Jamie Oliver in our Midst... hehe... While the snack bar is important.. I think you guys should be happy u are getting served hot catered food... Screw junk eat healthy...

Good point there, which many find it easy to ignore. Choice has an important role to play I guess since caterers on general basis would not match up to the fast-food outlets in terms of variety. But a very valid point nonetheless.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Reputation Impact : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  mightykhan Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Rumours about Al Farooj to provide as second caterers at campus. If that is the case, then its brilliant. I love you

Current food crisis at the new campus Farooj
mightykhan
mightykhan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  nipun Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:22 pm

mightykhan wrote:Rumours about Al Farooj to provide as second caterers at campus. If that is the case, then its brilliant. I love you

Current food crisis at the new campus Farooj

it might come true because a month ago they were at the campus for food tasting and i went for it as well. On feedback every staff member liked it and was ready to have them on campus. Smile

nipun
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenb Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Seems like great news. Laughing
stephenb
stephenb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Very well then. Does seem like some good news at last for all concerned.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smoshee Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:53 am

When i hear Farooj I think Shawarma Razz
smoshee
smoshee

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:33 am

While all is bright from the look of it, you have to know your game well here to succeed. Not taking anything away from the overall quality, catering disadvantages are a plenty considering the generic idea of being a popular franchise, since the responsibilities involve considerable effort on the part of the organizer and caterer. More popular means more space requirements, more tables, more dishes and last but not the least, more waiters to serve.

Does the superiority of catered (buffet) food go inferior in comparison to the fast-food levels? Could the University consider on actually having the respective caterers as a fast-food outlet? Maybe its an understandable 'no' at this point of operation (for many reasons) but considering the long run, could be a decent point of debate.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smoshee Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:43 am

Symposium wrote:While all is bright from the look of it, you have to know your game well here to succeed. Not taking anything away from the overall quality, catering disadvantages are a plenty considering the generic idea of being a popular franchise, since the responsibilities involve considerable effort on the part of the organizer and caterer. More popular means more space requirements, more tables, more dishes and last but not the least, more waiters to serve.

Does the superiority of catered (buffet) food go inferior in comparison to the fast-food levels? Could the University consider on actually having the respective caterers as a fast-food outlet? Maybe its an understandable 'no' at this point of operation (for many reasons) but considering the long run, could be a decent point of debate.

I feel Catering has more advantages than disadvantages and definitely quality wise incomparable to fast food... As I see it The only issue with catered food would be the cost of setting up such a thing... Of course there is a monetary issue which requires an early investment, but I think cooked food from scratch is a much better health option...

I am definitely against Fast food such as pizzas, KFC, Burger King, Mc Donalds.. etc.. I would rather prefer good food fast... but u dont have a lot of choice then... You can't have Subway every day... Variety is Key... Here is where Catered food can be an advantage... a different meal every day of the week or something like that...get a caterer and design AED 20 Buffet dishes for 5 days of the week...

In the UAE we are not acquainted to school lunches.. we usually get our lunches or buy crap from the canteens... in the UK there are specific regulations for school foods for encouraging a healthy lifestyle... We need to take these tips and try to encourage a healthy standard in the University...

In the wake of countless health issues among people these days.. It is almost a duty for each of us to individually look after ourselves... Even with all the policies in the UK it was a horror story discovered in the UK... then Jamie Oliver came along and transformed the lunches that would fit the school budgets and be healthy... He has already gone through the hard process transforming thoughts across UK and USA we just need to follow...

Nothing wrong in Pioneering a mission.... Who is with me? Smile

Last edited by smoshee on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
smoshee
smoshee

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:43 am

Fair enough smoshee, and a very good explaination it certainly was.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  trez93 Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:19 am

haha...we still need decent food for the veg people u know!

trez93
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:31 am

trez93 wrote:haha...we still need decent food for the veg people u know!

Since the franchise is catering, one could possibly expect a choice for vegetarians, even though the outlet is not known for it.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  janet Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:33 am

Food at Circle K is expensive. I would rather buy from the HW vending machine... lol

janet
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Back to top Go down

Post  smoshee Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:12 pm

janet wrote:Food at Circle K is expensive. I would rather buy from the HW vending machine... lol

Circle K is not a Caterer... Its sort of a Bakery / Supermarket...
smoshee
smoshee

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:02 am

smoshee wrote:
janet wrote:Food at Circle K is expensive. I would rather buy from the HW vending machine... lol

I believe it offers the only available option to the vegetarians, therefore most students are dependant on it and feel the price crunch.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smoshee Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:42 am

Symposium wrote:
smoshee wrote:

I believe it offers the only available option to the vegetarians, therefore most students are dependant on it and feel the price crunch.

Ahh I see... That is a huge disadvantage... Sorry to hear... I really am... We need at least a Salad Bar Smile
smoshee
smoshee

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:52 am

Looking at the current state of affairs for vegetarians, makes sense posting this.

So why is it important to be a vegetarian? First and foremost, there are important health benefits in a vegetarian diet. Several research studies suggest a link between longevity and a vegetarian diet. According to a study by the Loma Linda University, vegetarians live almost seven years longer, and vegans almost fifteen years longer, than meat eaters.

A vegetarian diet can help in reducing risk of cancer and cardio-vascular disease. Fruits and vegetables are full of antioxidant nutrients that protect the heart and its arteries. Animal food products are loaded with dietary saturated fat and cholesterol. An average American male on a meat-based diet has a 50 percent chance of dying from heart diseases. A study of a group of French vegetarians found that they had a daily intake of 25 percent less fat than non-vegetarians. Some of the other proven health benefits of a vegetarian diet include significantly reduced rates of obesity, coronary heart disease, hypertension, constipation, and gallstones.
Not too bad then, being a vegetarian.

Reference: http://www.streetdirectory.com/food_editorials/health_food/vegetarian_food/importance_of_being_a_vegeterian.html
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mightykhan Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Meat lover! Evil or Very Mad
mightykhan
mightykhan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  am640 Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:22 am

If not the food we could really use the exhaust system on 3rd floor, if not hunger the smell kills students!

am640
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenb Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:52 am

am640 wrote:If not the food we could really use the exhaust system on 3rd floor, if not hunger the smell kills students!

LOOL yes I can understand the aroma issues Cool . Not funny at all.
stephenb
stephenb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down