Heriot Watt University Society
Welcome to Heriot-Watt University Online Society !

Please login to your HWUC account. If you do not have an account, please register.

Regards
- Admin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Heriot-Watt University Online Society !

Please login to your HWUC account. If you do not have an account, please register.

Regards
- Admin
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Divide (2011)
Jobs (employment) section EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:42 pm by cinemax

» ICC Cricket World Cup Official Highlights (2011)
Jobs (employment) section EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 pm by cinemax

» Bending the Rules (2012)
Jobs (employment) section EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:29 pm by cinemax

» London Paris New York (2012)
Jobs (employment) section EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 pm by cinemax

» Born to Be Wild (2011)
Jobs (employment) section EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm by cinemax

» Khuda Kay Liye (2007)
Jobs (employment) section EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm by cinemax

» Agent Vinod (2012)
Jobs (employment) section EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 pm by cinemax

» Study tips for examinations
Jobs (employment) section EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 am by Symposium

» Dynamics Mock Past Papers
Jobs (employment) section EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 am by crixus

I forgot my password

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Top posting users this week
No user

Connect Vision
Jobs (employment) section Tumblr_lzruylS7jt1rq3itno1_100
Menu

Jobs (employment) section

5 posters

Go down

Jobs (employment) section Empty Jobs (employment) section

Post  smoshee Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I think we could have a Jobs section.. after all It is one of the most pressing issues for a Student... University Jobs, Part Time Jobs, Full Time Jobs for Graduates etc...
smoshee
smoshee

Reputation Impact : 12

https://www.facebook.com/sm.OsHEe

Back to top Go down

Jobs (employment) section Empty Re: Jobs (employment) section

Post  stephenb Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 pm

More career fairs maybe? I have actually not come across any one student get employment off a career fair interview. Exclamation
stephenb
stephenb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Reputation Impact : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  smoshee Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:21 am

stephenb wrote:More career fairs maybe? I have actually not come across any one student get employment off a career fair interview. Exclamation

I will speak in reference to the Dubai Campus

Well May be not off the actual Fair... But I am currently working with a company that approached the uni for a researcher... You have to keep your eyes open for any opportunity that comes.. take the initiative and be present for all those functions... Previously some of the students had a problem because the Degree wasn't properly recognized by the Ministry of Education hence Visa was a problem... That isn't an issue anymore...
smoshee
smoshee

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:52 am

How big an issue was it actually (the Ministry approval) if you do not mind me asking? And why has it taken so late for the authorities to get hold of it? Just curious.
Jobs (employment) section Untitl11

Last edited by Symposium on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:07 am; edited 4 times in total
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Reputation Impact : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  smoshee Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:11 am

Symposium wrote:How big an issue was it actually (the Ministry approval) if you do not mind me asking? And why has it taken so late for the authorities to get hold of it? Just curious.

Well The problem was The University wasn't registered under the ministry of education and some confusing rules of the FREE ZONE... which was similar to... you do whatever you want here we don't care... or something like that

The university is free to provide the UK degree, as if you have studied in the UK which you obviously haven't... So you would be treated to have done only a diploma as available for distant learning students... hence you couldn't get a higher rank visa for Mechanical Engineer (for example) you would be a technician instead.

There was a way to get over this problem as well where one could get his/her degree attested by the UK ministry, then attested by Consulate of the UAE in the UK and then finally the Ministry of education of the UAE.. The company that does this is :

INDEX DOCUMENT CLEARING

However many of the students weren't aware of this and were panic stricken... Many posed problems to their employers not knowing how to make this happen... This problem occurred only in the Gulf...

Now that the university has taken some initiative to register with the ministry of Education which they didn't earlier their degree is now recognized by the Ministry of Education in the UAE and provides a smooth transition when applying for Visa.
smoshee
smoshee

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:16 am

Thankyou for the detailed response smoshee. It was greatly appreciated. Smile
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenb Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:04 pm

smoshee wrote:
stephenb wrote:More career fairs maybe? I have actually not come across any one student get employment off a career fair interview. Exclamation

Well May be not off the actual Fair... But I am currently working with a company that approached the uni for a researcher... You have to keep your eyes open for any opportunity that comes.. take the initiative and be present for all those functions... Previously some of the students had a problem because the Degree wasn't properly recognized by the Ministry of Education hence Visa was a problem... That isn't an issue anymore...

Did you give your interview at the careers fair itself?
stephenb
stephenb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  smoshee Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:18 pm

stephenb wrote:
smoshee wrote:

No They had published an advertisement at campus
smoshee
smoshee

Back to top Go down

Post  stephenb Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 am

^ Oh, that's fine. Cheers.
stephenb
stephenb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Hunt Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:56 am

smoshee wrote:
stephenb wrote:
smoshee wrote:

No They had published an advertisement at campus

Published an advert my a**.

Ben Hughes had that advert document, he gave it to me...but i wanted to chill for the summer before working lol

Mike Hunt
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Reputation Impact : 2

Back to top Go down

Jobs (employment) section Empty Top 10 places to work in the U.A.E.

Post  Symposium Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:59 am

Well these might give some sort of a pointer as to how the current Dubai market functions.

The top 10 list

1. FedEx Express www.fedex.com

What makes them great: FedEx's P-S-P or "people-service-profit" philosophy guides all of their efforts. To thank employees who exemplify PSP, it uses the Purple Promise Award (PPA) which recognises a team member who goes beyond the typical expectations for his or her job to ensure the customer's needs are met. Sometimes the individual's effort requires the assistance of co-workers. In such cases, more than one employee may receive a Purple Promise Award for the same endeavour.

2. Microsoft Gulf FZ LLC www.microsoft.com

What makes them great: While Microsoft has a business-focused culture, it also works to create a sense of work/life balance. A charter of principles help assist in raising awareness of some of the key issues impacting an individual's work/life balance.

3. Marriott www.marriott.com

What makes them great: Employees at Marriott benefit from a culture of appreciation. As an example, a Certificate of Excellence comes in the name of the associate from the Corporate Headquarters in Washington DC, and signed by the Company Co-Founder J. Willard Marriott, if an associate receives a thank you note from a customer on excellent service.

4. Pepsi Co Asia, Middle East & Africa www.pepsico.com

What makes them great: Employees benefit during welcoming from an assigned "functional onboarding coach" and a "culture coach." These two mentors help the new employee adjust to the company and its business culture.

5. THE One www.theone.com

What makes them great: At THE One, employees are invited to take part in community involvement efforts. By 2020 it hopes to support 99 villages.

6. Omni www.omnicommediagroup.com

What makes them great: The Circle of Excellence is the forum for thinking "outside the box". It is championed by a senior and provides a confidential forum in which to brainstorm solutions to challenges in business, personal and family life for themselves and on behalf of their colleagues. Participants are asked to share their commitment to maintaining a life-long focus on progress toward their long and short-term goals.

7. Merck UAE www.merck.de

What makes them great: Merck developed an "Employee Council" where every 15 employees elect one member to be their voice to senior managers. The employee council meets directly with the managing director of the organisation, the HR director and the VP of the region. In this meeting, all issues are discussed openly and there are no barriers to topics. Direct feedback is given to the employee council who transfer the message back and answer all queries of their respective teams.

8. Bayt.com www.bayt.com

What makes them great: Bayt works hard at creating an employee-centric culture. In developing employees, for example, it conducts a daily training. These 30-40 minutes training sessions are called STARS training and the content is prepared by a bayt head and the content is shared across the offices each day.

9. Dulsco LLC www.dulsco.com

What makes them great: Dulsco actively listens to employees. Its open door and ‘open office' model facilitates two-way communication, especially down-up, and it also has suggestion boxes across every location/department to encourage suggestions through awards and recognition.

10 EMC http://middle-east.emc.com/

What makes them great: EMC works hard to provide a caring culture, going beyond what is required. For example, it grants paternity leave, as well as marriage leave, and compassionate leave, even though it is not required to do so by labour law. And it grants public holidays in excess of government announcements.
Read full article at: http://gulfnews.com/life-style/general/the-top-10-places-to-work-in-the-uae-1.979953
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maxx_456 Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:59 am

Hey guys, just joined today... its good we finally have a local forum.. way better than an Fb group...

I was reading through the article... and its mentioned that now Heriot Watt university Dubai Campus is registered by the Ministry of Education.

I have just a few questions on that topic:

1) Does the approval from the ministry of education mean that we will have "Dubai Campus" written on our transcripts and the certificate... or is it such that the ministry issues a different certificate and say that it is a ministry approved university.

2) I am currently in the Third Year of Mechanical engineering, and after my graduation will be hunting for jobs not just in UAE or Gulf... but in the UK and US(The west side i meant..) and so on too. So, in that case if the transcripts and certificate have "Dubai Campus" written "on" them, Would it be a problem when searching for jobs.... if its a different certificate.. then it wont be a problem i guess.

Much Appreciated guys, Would be great help if someone has already graduated and could the mention the probs faced.. or what the industry professional say about HW Dubai Campus..

Thanks Smile

maxx_456
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Reputation Impact : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:31 am

maxx_456 wrote:Hey guys, just joined today... its good we finally have a local forum.. way better than an Fb group...

I was reading through the article... and its mentioned that now Heriot Watt university Dubai Campus is registered by the Ministry of Education.

1) Does the approval from the ministry of education mean that we will have "Dubai Campus" written on our transcripts and the certificate... or is it such that the ministry issues a different certificate and say that it is a ministry approved university.

2) I am currently in the Third Year of Mechanical engineering, and after my graduation will be hunting for jobs not just in UAE or Gulf... but in the UK and US(The west side i meant..) and so on too. So, in that case if the transcripts and certificate have "Dubai Campus" written "on" them, Would it be a problem when searching for jobs.... if its a different certificate.. then it wont be a problem i guess.

Much Appreciated guys, Would be great help if someone has already graduated and could the mention the probs faced.. or what the industry professional say about HW Dubai Campus..

Thanks Smile

Thankyou for your detailed post. Fortunately, the degrees are accepted now by both public and private sectors, attested by the KHDA. Please refer to the thread for more details: https://hwuc.forumotion.co.uk/t42-dubai-nod-for-private-varsity-degrees-from-its-free-zones

From a personal point of view, I would suggest if you consider thinking about a good dissertation (research) question rather than employment from now on. Many students tend to focus too much on employment from the early age and end up risking their final year grades (which counts). You need a 1st (a minimum for any good opportunity) to tick most boxes and getting that is not easy by any stretch of imagination. Take it step-by-step and hopefully things will turn your way.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  maxx_456 Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:30 am

Symposium wrote:
maxx_456 wrote:Hey guys, just joined today... its good we finally have a local forum.. way better than an Fb group...

Thanks Smile

Thankyou for your detailed post. Fortunately, the degrees are accepted now by both public and private sectors, attested by the KHDA. Please refer to the thread for more details: https://hwuc.forumotion.co.uk/t42-dubai-nod-for-private-varsity-degrees-from-its-free-zones

From a personal point of view, I would suggest if you consider thinking about a good dissertation (research) question rather than employment from now on. Many students tend to focus too much on employment from the early age and end up risking their final year grades (which counts). You need a 1st (a minimum for any good opportunity) to tick most boxes and getting that is not easy by any stretch of imagination. Take it step-by-step and hopefully things will turn your way.

The dissertation as in the "Final Year Project" right? And by first you mean first class right? (2:2, then comes 2:1 and then first class) right?

And i read the link.. but i still need to clear this whether "Dubai Campus" will be written on our Certificates and Transcripts?

Actually the main reason for this issue is that i'm interested more into the field of robotics and mechatronics... and a proper full-scale commercialization of the field is only in those parts of the world... and the rest parts while it exists are more into the research field of robotics and mechatronics which i am not interested in.

it'll be great help if you clear the issue... and again..

Big Thanks Smile

maxx_456
Fresh Intake
Fresh Intake

Reputation Impact : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Symposium Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:15 am

^ Yes that's right, the final year project with a first-class honours degree would be decent isn't it?

In all probability, there will be no mention of Dubai on the degrees in the immediate future. But only time will tell as to how long this may continue.
Symposium
Symposium
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum